Alfredsson, Kindl both practice, but their status for Wednesday isn’t known quite yet

DETROIT – Here’s a quick update from Detroit Red Wings practice, Tuesday afternoon at Joe Louis Arena.

Forward Daniel Alfredsson (groin) skated a full practice and felt good afterwards.

“It was a good practice, I felt good,” Alfredsson said. “It was a good pace. I’ll see how I feel later today and tomorrow and go from there.”

However, he wasn’t sure if he’ll be able to play Wednesday at home against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“We’ll take it day-by-day,” Alfredsson said. “I’m happy with how I feel right now, but you never want to jinx yourself and say you feel great so we’ll see how it feels this afternoon. This was the first time I’ve really pushed myself hard in a while.”

Wings coach Mike Babcock seems to expect him in the lineup.

“No one told me he isn’t so I assume he’s going to play,” Babcock said. “He’s got to play eventually here, like anything I’d like to get him going. I’d like to play him tomorrow and then on Friday and get going from there.”

The Wings’ planned second line of Alfredsson, Johan Franzen and Stephen Weiss have yet to play a preseason game together.

“They’ve got to get to work and get playing,” Babcock said. “That’s what training camp is for. You have to start feeling good and be going in at a high level and if you do that you have a better chance of getting started on time.”

Alfredsson doesn’t see building chemistry to be an issue.

“We have more than a week here to get used to each other,” Alfredsson said. “There’s still plenty of time. Everyone would love to be healthy all of training camp and go full all the time, but at the same time this is the time also where you have to make sure if you do have something to look after you take care of it because when the season starts there’s no time.”

Defenseman Jakub Kindl (hip flexor) also participated in a full practice, but his status for Wednesday is cloudy as well.

“We just had that debt, I told him only players over 40 can miss a whole week of training camp so we haven’t decided yet,” Babcock said. “I told all the D to be ready to go tomorrow and we’ll see who’s available.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s