The Wings took goalie Jake Paterson, who play for Saginaw in the OHL, with the 80th overall pick.
In 42 games last season he had a 3.42 goals-against average and a .904 save percentage.
Here is his bio off nhl.com
• Paterson appeared in 42 regular-season games in 2011-12, posting an 18-18-3 record with a 3.42 goals-against average, .904 save percentage and one shutout. He played in 12 playoff games, going 6-6 with a 3.05 goals-against average and .903 save percentage.
• He split the 2010-11 season between Saginaw of the OHL and the Soo Eagles of the NOJHL. He played five games in the OHL, recording three wins, a 2.97 goals-against average and a .907 save percentage.
• Paterson won a gold medal with Team Ontario at the 2011 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, but didn’t see any ice time behind starter Daniel Altshuller (the No. 12-ranked North American goaltender).
• He wasn’t a natural-born netminder — “My first time playing goalie, I hated it and couldn’t wait for the next game to be back at forward. Shortly after I switched back to goalie.”
• He wears #57 for David Shantz, who played goalie for the Mississauga IceDogs in the OHL.
NHL team: Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings
NHL player: Ryan Miller
Video game: NHL 12, Call of Duty
Movie: Anchorman, The Blind Side
TV show: How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men
Actor/Actress: Will Ferrell, Jennifer Aniston
Cartoon: Bugs Bunny
Website: Facebook, OHL.com, NHL.com
Pump-up song: Anything by Eminem
Sport (other than hockey): Lacrosse