Even before training camp begins on Sunday the Wings have their first injury to deal with.
Forward Darren Helm “tweaked” something while working out.
“We’re giving it some rest, will look at it on Monday,” Wings general Ken Holland said. “Doctors told him to take a few days off. We’ll see if he needs tests after that.”
Helm hasn’t skated for the last two days.
Forward Damien Brunner also has yet to make an appearance during these informal workouts since a deal in principal was struck between owners and players last Sunday.
Holland said Brunner is flying in today and is good to go.
As for Pavel Datsyuk, Holland didn’t know when he would arrive.
Datsyuk was scheduled to play in Sunday’s KHL All-Star game.
“We’ll talk to Pav and see what he’s thinking,” Holland said. “The expectation is that he’s traveling to Detroit on Monday, we’ll see him on Tuesday.”
Datsyuk will need to pass a a physical before taking the ice.
- Struggling Weiss gets to face his former team
- Wings coach Mike Babcock on Jimmy Howard: “You have to find a way to get hit and you have to find a way to get confident.”
- Babcock tabs the hot goalie, Gustavsson, to start tonight against Florida
- Babcock wants to win games so he turns to Gustavsson, who is 7-0-1 this season
- MRI reveals fluid on Helm’s shoulder; Bertuzzi returns; Babcock not sure on line combos
- Babcock tabs Gustavsson to start Friday at New Jersey
- Flyers go 3-for-3 on PP, while Wings struggle with man advantage going 1-for-7
- Datsyuk says he’s headache free; just getting headaches from media now
- Babcock decides to have Weiss center Franzen and Nyquist; Emmerton on fourth line
- Kronwall: “Hank is our leader and he’s probably our best player on the ice every night.”