Even before training camp begins on Sunday the Wings have their first injury to deal with.
Forward Darren Helm “tweaked” something while working out.
“We’re giving it some rest, will look at it on Monday,” Wings general Ken Holland said. “Doctors told him to take a few days off. We’ll see if he needs tests after that.”
Helm hasn’t skated for the last two days.
Forward Damien Brunner also has yet to make an appearance during these informal workouts since a deal in principal was struck between owners and players last Sunday.
Holland said Brunner is flying in today and is good to go.
As for Pavel Datsyuk, Holland didn’t know when he would arrive.
Datsyuk was scheduled to play in Sunday’s KHL All-Star game.
“We’ll talk to Pav and see what he’s thinking,” Holland said. “The expectation is that he’s traveling to Detroit on Monday, we’ll see him on Tuesday.”
Datsyuk will need to pass a a physical before taking the ice.
- Helm able to find a bit of humor with his latest setback keeping him off the ice
- Legwand leaped at ‘once in a lifetime chance’ to join Red Wings; Pulkkinen recalled as insurance
- Lidstrom went from thinking he would not make the team to having his number retired alongside Red Wing greats
- Quote of the day … Wings coach Mike Babcock
- Decision to join Wings for chase to make playoffs an easy one for Legwand
- Holland felt time was right to make a move to sure up center position
- Mike and Marian Ilitch won’t be able to attend Lidstrom ceremony
- Loss of Datsyuk for three weeks made move to add a top center, Legwand, necessary
- Wings add Legwand, a much needed center, at deadline
- Legwand now a Detroit Red Wing